Download the DrGeorge FIRST AID KIT CHECKLIST to print out and keep in the top of your first aid kit.
Pack in a moisture proof box like a metal or plastic tool box or esky. Laminate a list of contents and keep inside the lid together with a list of useful telephone numbers including your vet, farrier, insurance company and horse transport company. Always replace items as they are used otherwise they won’t be there when you need them in an emergency.
- Head collar and lead rope
- 2 rolls of cotton wool or gamgee
- 4 rolls of elasticated bandage
- 4 rolls of adhesive bandage
- Duct tape
- Foot poultice
- Cotton gauze swabs
- A bottle of dilute povidone-iodine – for wound cleaning
- 60ml syringe or clean, washed out worming syringe – for flushing wounds
- Antiseptic spray with insecticide
- Jar of petroleum jelly
- Digital thermometer
- Latex gloves
- Hoof pick
- Blunt ended scissors – for cutting bandaging material
- Shoe removal kit – ask your farrier about removing a shoe in an emergency situation
- Plastic buckets
- Clean towel
- Stethoscope – ask your vet about monitoring heart rate and gut sounds
- Twitch – useful to control a distressed horse needing emergency treatment before professional help arrives
See my other blog post for when to call the vet!